Thursday, October 28, 2004

My second story

My first story for Stripes was about a Japanese air force official getting a medal from the Americans.

My second was covering a press conference with Colin Powell with about 250 other reporters, cameramen and photographers all crammed into one press room. The men took smoking breaks in a side room while waiting for Powell and the Korean foreign minister, Ban Ki-moon, to show. I went to the press conference without a press pass, but our translater, Hae-rym, got us in. She helped by holding my tape recorder (which proved virtually useless later) while I struggled with my camera. Needless to say, my first picture for Stripes was a grainy mug of Powell in mid-word. My only solace is that I can only get better.

I didn't get to go to the DMZ Wednesday. I was supposed to go as part of a tour, and Hae-rym and I went to the public information office on Yongsan at 7:30 a.m. Because she lives near Incheon, that means she left her house at 6 a.m. to start her trek on public transportation. But the man who was supposed to take us forgot, and he left at 7:15. We'll go next week.

Instead I learned about another story. The military officials decided to raise the on-base drinking age from 20 to 21. Most military bases around the world try to set the drinking age at the same age as the local community. In Korea, you can drink when you're 20. But there's a new push to bring the drinking age limit back in line with the states. So starting Monday, soldiers can't drink until their 21.They can still go off-base, but risk getting in trouble if military police catch them. We were at a bar last night and twice MPs came in to check. So it's big news here.

Today (Thursday) I took my drivers test and passed. Now I'm off to look for apartments with Tim, the head editor for the Pacific office who is visiting from Tokyo to help me in my first few days. It's so nice to have so much help. Last night (over great Indian food), Tim and Joe (my editor) both recalled their first few days in Seoul. No one met Tim at the airport, no one offered to go to dinner with Joe for the first three nights. They are really taking care of me.

Did I happen to mention there are slot machines across the hall from my office? Yes, and a bar.

The Stripes office is on a small base near Seoul's soccer stadium. It's also near the garment district, where thousands of spools of thread and piles of carpet and fabric bolts line the sidewalks. It's fun to work so close to city streets rather than at the campus of Yongsan. That said, the base is pretty run down. It desparately needs a new coat of ugly Army beige paint.

But like at most bases, there's a bar and a slot machine room. The one on our base happens to be just across the hall. It's really dumpy and depressing, not a place I'd likely drink. Tim, however, went over yesterday afternoon to play slots while he was waiting for me to file my story. He swears he has a system that involves the super 8 game and bells.

He won $375.

Hope he has the same luck finding a sweet place to live.

No comments: